Lead MEP Digital Engineer
Location: City Of London
Our client is a leading award winning engineering company based in Central London.
Due to a rapid increase in workload we are currently looking for a Lead MEP Digital Engineer to join their growing team in London.
A Lead MEP Digital Engineer leads teams of Digital Engineers to deliver all activities related to the co-
ordination modelling and drawing production for installation and offsite manufacture whilst ensuring that scope, price and programme for these activities is achieved. They lead the implementation and delivery of bid/project MEP DE strategies, and actively support and drives the continuous improvement of our capability and capacity in line with industry best practice and emerging innovation and technology.
The role will cover major projects only with a requirement to manage more than one team.
The Lead MEP Digital Engineer is part of the Engineering Job Family and Digital Engineering Function. The DE function within our client organisation provides the capability to fully engineer our projects before commencing work on site ensuring an optimised engineered solution, technical excellence, maximised use of offsite products, reduced waste and enhanced delivery efficiency. All our engineers are part of our Engineering Enterprise and aligned with our overall strategy to maximise DfMA, Digital Engineering, and Early Engagement.
* Delivers the technical and our client capabilities as set out below.
* Clearly demonstrates the excellence+ behaviours set out below.
* To plan, co-ordinate and manage all activities related to the coordination, 3d modelling and drawing production for installation and offsite manufacture of MEP services on a project or projects
* To ensure that scope, price and programme for the package of Digital Engineering work under your management is achieved.
* To manage Digital Engineering teams across one or more projects and to deploy them effectively recognising individual strengths and weaknesses
* To manage external supply chain partners as part of a combined internal/external delivery strategy
* To work closely with the project delivery team, the design manager and the DfMA team to provide advice on co-ordination and design for manufacture during concept and design development stages.
* To develop and produce the co-ordination / drawing programme and schedules to incorporate resource levels and key issue dates into an integrated programme.
* To liaise with the Manufacturing facility to give them updates on expected drawing release dates
* To provide regular Scope / Price Programme Reports to the Regional MEP DE Leader
* To check and monitor technical quality of the DE team output and compliance with DE procedures and ?best practice' standards.
* To manage and facilitate co-ordination workshops where necessary.
* To arrange and chair co-ordination meetings where necessary.
* To review the Technical Design and raise queries using RFI tracking sheet.
* Provide mentoring and coaching to less senior DE staff.
* To act as a technical mentor to the DE resource allocated to the project.
* Co-ordinate the information flow on a project to ensure that the DE team have the necessary information to work efficiently and effectively.
* To check all DE output for compliance with relevant specifications, ER's and DfMA strategy
* Check all DE output for compliance with the DE agreed scope, to ensure a cost effective, efficient, clash free installation of services on site.
* Facilitate the process of collating comments from all relevant parties and ensure comments are actioned.
* Develop skills and knowledge in line with the developments in DE technology.
* To provide advice to the Project Team on co-ordination issues relating to the Sub- Contractors installations.
* On modularised, prefabricated projects liaise with the DfMA team to develop and deliver appropriate solutions
* To provide material and weight Take off data to the Manufacturing facility
* Manage co-ordination changes to Scope Price and Programme by using the RFC process to record changes requests to enable the Project commercial team to manage the variation account.
* Where requested on projects that have been outsourced to DE supply chain partner, act as a ?Critical Friend' to the project team to provide advice and periodically check compliance with standards.
* To have a full understanding of the agreed DE/BIM Execution Plan and ensure that the MEP scope is delivered including Level of Detail and Level of Information requirements
* To liaise regularly throughout the project with the Digital Engineer to keep them appraised of the current modelling progress and any challenges that exist
Key Skills Required
Qualifications and experience
* Degree in Building Services Engineering or Level 4 BTEC Higher National Certificate in Building Services Engineering.
* Essential – Previous experience of managing teams on large, technically complex projects
* Essential – Significant experience of producing installation and offsite manufacture drawings for complex plantrooms and risers
* Essential – More than 3 years' experience using Revit MEP software and more than 10 years' experience using Fabrication CADMEP producing
* Essential – Significant experience within an MEP contractor and offsite manufacture role
* Has excellent communication and presentation skills
* Can manage several teams of up to 10 people on a project value up to £30m
* Is able to manage multiple shifting priorities
* Is able to work under pressure and to strict deadlines
* Is able to assist with the development of DfMA strategy
* Is able to produce clear written and verbal reports
* Can accurately estimate time and cost for packages of work
* Has advanced knowledge of all MEP services and their methods of installation including ventilation ductwork, domestic water pipework, heating and cooling pipework, above ground drainage, sprinkler systems and cable containment
* Has a good knowledge of specialist services such as medical gas, pneumatic tube, steam, busbar and modular wiring
* Has the ability to author and interrogate complex 3D models using Revit MEP and Navisworks with responsibility for own package/section of project and other team members
* Has the ability to produce 2D drawings, including schematics, MEP services end sheets for GA single service layouts and multi service sections, risers, complex plantrooms, offsite manufacture end sheets and spool drawings
* Has the ability to produce drawing to the standard defined by BSRIA BG6 as 4c & 5
* Has the ability to model MEP services to a suitable level of detail for offsite manufacture material take off
* Has advanced knowledge of BIM, including BEP's, LOD requirements, and importance of clash detection and model interrogation.
* Has advanced knowledge of MEP services coordination principles and how they integrate with building fabric and structure and can provide solutions and advice to architectural and structural teams for services solutions
* Understands implications of coordination on system resistances and plant duties and can utilise this knowledge to coordinate services in the 3d model
* Is able to size pipework and ductwork
* Has a good knowledge of the standards set out in DW144
* Has an excellent understanding of the requirements for access, maintenance and buildability good practice in relation to MEP services
* Has advanced knowledge of DfMA and the offsit