Location: City Of London
Our client is an established and reputable multi-disciplinary consultancy that has been operating in the M&E sector for more than 45 years. They have an impressive client list and work on a variety of projects, both large and small across different sectors, predominantly commercial and residential, as well as hotel, mixed use, student accommodation, care homes, etc.
Due to a rapid increase in workload, an exciting opportunity has arisen for a hybrid BIM Technical Manager, to be based in their Central London office on a permanent basis.
This is an excellent opportunity for an enthusiastic individual who is looking to progress in their career.
You would have the opportunity to work together with the board and have the opportunity to identify, influence, and implement change.
The BIM Technical Manager role entails taking ownership of production of their BIM modelling, and also their 2D and 3D drawings to ensure that they are delivered to a consistently high quality across all projects and in accordance with agreed programmes. The BIM Technical Manager will also drive the organisation’s transition to BIM with the ultimate goal that the workstreams of the MEP engineers and BIM Technicians is seamless. To achieve this all engineers will need to be fully conversant in Revit and all supporting software, in order to deliver coordinated BIM models, and where applicable also 2D/3D/CAD drawings from inception to completion of future projects.
The BIM Technical Manager is required to identify, influence and implement change, as well as keeping abreast of developments within the industry.
* Organise and manage regular weekly meetings with BIM/CAD staff and team leaders to determine current and foreseen workload and utilisation.
* Report on the company’s current and projected status regarding BIM implementation.
* Create upgrade and deployment strategies for the BIM implementation including advising on current workflow, strategies, budgets, projects, staffing, etc. in terms of design teams and project requirements.
* Create a plan for implementation.
* Demonstrate the company’s BIM success by evaluating goals that were established in the earlier phases.
* Ensure effective performance management standards are maintained within the CAD team and deal with poor performance (where it arises).
* Undertake staff appraisals.
* Manage the department recruitment process.
* Undertake internal training of staff or advise on requirements for Revit fundamental and intermediate training.
* Manage and lead internal CPD Revit training sessions.
* Provide technical orientation to new employees in respect of Revit/BIM tools.
* Write a competency test for new employees to test skills in BIM/Revit.
* Maintain high level of competency of software through continued use and training of the most up-to-date software.
* Take responsibility for the integration of BIM (and CAD) standards development, implementation and enforcement.
* Advise on the creation and maintenance of the BIM (and CAD) software template files to assure standards.
* Provide a level of quality control for completeness and adherence to company standards of all drawings produced.
* Maintain required level of utilisation and complete timesheet on a weekly basis.
* Assist in developing and enforcing BIM (and CAD) documentation and workflow process standards.
* Ensure commercial awareness of the CAD deliverables on all projects and regularly review the position and report to the Project Director.
* Provide continued feedback on time and money spent on projects, ultimately providing costing guidelines for future likeminded projects so that fees can be accurate.
Project Interface – BIM Project Management
* Assess the needs of clients and users such as EIR (Employer Information Requirements) and BEP (BIP Execution Plan) and agreeing the project brief.
* Support project standards coordination with staff and clients.
* Manage the process of creating Revit families in response to project need.
* Assist in the resolution of BIM design issues providing a co-ordination role.
* Utilise experience in BIM methods and procedures and responding to EIRs, authoring or contributing to BIM Execution Plans and setting up delivery mechanisms to meet the clients BIM requirements.
* Keep project documentation up-to-date and comply with file management protocols.
Hardware and Software Management
* Manage, in conjunction with their IT support team, the hardware and software needs of the team including preparing planned replacement schedules, budgets etc.
* Evaluate new software and hardware and report on its suitability.
Technical Knowledge and Skills
Suitable candidates must be able to demonstrate the following technical knowledge and skills
* A detailed understanding of the building services engineering field. Additional experience in other sectors including structural engineering and architectural disciplines would be an advantage.
* Seven+ years’ experience of having produced working drawings and co-ordinating (experience of having worked with a contractor is advantageous but not essential).
* In-depth working knowledge of current CAD, Revit and BIM applications including 3D graphics and presentation software.
* Experience of maintaining excellent client relationships / key client management as a tool towards developing future business.
* Sector experience to include areas such as commercial, residential, mixed-use, senior living, education, health, energy & historic buildings.
For more information regarding the above role, please contact Stephen Tiigah – firstname.lastname@example.org